Ukrainian Helsinki Union of human rights was registered
On 30 June the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine registered the all-Ukrainian Association of human rights protecting organizations “Ukrainian Helsinki Union of human rights”, which had been founded by 15 human rights protecting organizations.
The Union was created on 1 April, at once after the end of the First Forum of human rights protecting organizations and became a result of the joint efforts of these organizations during the last year.
The main goal of creation and work of the Union is realization and protection of the rights and fundamental freedoms of its members by means of the promotion of practical application of the humanitarian articles of the Concluding Act of the Helsinki Council on safety and cooperation in Europe of 1975, other international documents adopted for its development and all obligations of Ukraine in the sphere of human rights and fundamental freedoms.
The Union was founded by 15 human rights protecting organizations:
1. Vinnitsa town public organization “Vinnitsa human rights protecting group”
2. All-Ukrainian Society of political prisoners and the repressed
3. Public committee for the protection of constitutional rights and freedoms of citizens (Lugansk)
4. Ecological club “EOL” (the Odessa oblast)
5. Institute of economic-social problems “Respublika” (Kyiv)
6. Congress of National Communities of Ukraine
7. Center of juridical and political research “SIM” (Lviv)
8. Town public organization “For professional aid” (the Poltava oblast)
9. Sevastopol human rights protecting group
10. Kharkov oblast union of soldiers mothers
11. Kharkov group for human rights protection
12. Kherson town organization of journalists “Pivden”
13. Kherson oblast organization of the Voters Committee of Ukraine
14. Center of research of regional policy (Sumy)
15. Chernigiv committee for the protection of Constitutional rights of citizens
The Board of the Union consists of representatives of the most known Ukrainian human rights protecting organizations. The Board is chaired by Evhen Zakharov, and Volodymir Yavorskiy is the chief executive.
Famous activists of human rights protection movement of the 60s-80s were elected to the Supervisory Board of the Union: Zinoviy Antoniuk, Mykola Gorbal, Josyp Zisels, Vasyl Lisovoy, Vasyl Ovsienko, Evhen Proniuk and Evhen Sverstiuk.
Address of the Union: 36 Olegivska St., room 309, Kyiv, 04071; tel./fax: (044) 4174118.
Secretariat of the Council of Ukrainian human rights protecting organizations