Presidential Decree honours the Victims of the Great Terror
Presidential Decree No. 431/2007
On Measures to mark the 70th anniversary of the Great Terror – the mass political repression of 1937-1938
In order to fittingly honour the memory of the victims of political repression;
to draw public attention to the tragic events in Ukraines history brought about by the forced inculcation of communist ideology
to restore national memory and affirm rejection of all manifestations of violence against humanity
in connection with the 70th anniversary of the Great Terror – the mass political repression of 1937-1938 and in support of public initiative,
We hereby instruct:
1. That Remembrance Day for the Victims of Political Repression be established and marked each year on the third Sunday in May.
2. The Cabinet of Ministers, together with the Security Service of Ukraine and the Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences, to draw up and approve within a month a plan of measures in connection with the 70th anniversary of the Great Terror – the mass political repression of 1937-1938, these including:
- Scholarly research during 2007-2008 on political repression against the Ukrainian people; conferences, roundtables and other related measures;
- Publication of books, documents and materials on the mass political repression of 1937-1938; ensuring that this material is distributed to libraries, educational institutions, scientific institutions, as well as measures to have certain works translated and published in other languages to be distributed outside Ukraine;
- Urgent measures to conclude work on creating the National Historical Memorial Reserve “Bykivnya Graves”, and on holding annual ceremonies each year in May on its territory to honour the victims of political repression;
- Organization by the Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance, drawing on assistance from the All-Ukrainian cultural and educational human rights charity Memorial Society of Vasyl Stus, the All-Ukrainian Association for Political Prisoners and Victims of Repression, as well as other civic organizations directly studying issues connected with political repression, of measures to ensure the participation in August 2007 and subsequent years of a Ukrainian delegation on traditional Remembrance Days at places linked with the tragic events of mass political repression of 1937-1938, in particular at the Sandarmokh Clearing and the Solovky Islands (in the Russian Federation);
- Memorial lectures, lessons and other measures during 2007 and 2008 in educational and cultural institutions aimed at raising awareness about the mass political repression of 1937-1938;
- Ensuring the creation of museum collections, adding to such collections and creating greater awareness of exhibits on historical events linked with political repression in Ukraine, including the exhibition “Not to be forgotten”, created by the Kyiv City Organization of the All-Ukrainian Memorial Society of Vasyl Stus
- Involving school and higher institute students in collecting documentary material and testimony of witnesses of political repression, especially in order to build the collections of regional museums.
3. The Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea, regional, Kyiv and Sevastopol City State Administrations:
- To provide for memorial gatherings, wreath-laying ceremonies at monuments and memorial plaques and at burial places of victims of political repression on 3-4 November 2007 in memory of the seventieth anniversary of the mass execution of Ukrainians in Stalins labour camps;
- To take steps according to established procedure to erect plaques and memorial signs at places linked with the mass execution and burial of victims of political repression.
4. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
- To ensure that Ukraines diplomatic representations abroad hold measures to mark the 70th anniversary of the Great Terror – the mass political repression of 1937-1938, and also to invite members of the diplomatic corps accredited in Ukraine to take part in such measures in Ukraine.
- To circulate information in the world about political repression in Ukraine and its consequences for the Ukrainian people.
5. The State Television and Radio Broadcasting Committee of Ukraine:
- to ensure wide coverage in the mass media of the events to mark the 70th anniversary of the Great Terror – the mass political repression of 1937-1938, and to organize related radio and television broadcasts.
6. To amend the Presidential Decree of 26 November 1998 No. 1310 “On establishing Remembrance Day for the Victims of Holodomor and Political Repression” (in the version of the Decree from 15 July 2004 No. 797), removing the words “and political repression” from the title and the text.
The President of Ukraine, Viktor YUSHCHENKO
21 May 2007
KHPG unofficial translation