“Memorial” temporarily suspending work in Chechnya
The “Memorial” Human Rights Centre is suspending its work in Chechnya following the abduction and murder of one of its representatives, Natalya Estemirova.
Oleg Orlov, Chair of the “Memorial” Council told Radio Svoboda that the decision had been taken by the Council on Friday evening.
Orlov said that he was willing to meet in court with the President of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov who he has said is responsible for Natalya Estemirova’s murder (see the Memorial Statement on 15 July http://www.khpg.org.ua/en/index.php?id=1247712855 ) Kadyrov responded to the accusation by calleing it unethical and saying he planned to go to court over it.
Natalya Estemirova had worked for the Grozny branch of “Memorial” for almost 10 years, investigating murders, torture and disappearances of people in the Northern Caucuses. She was abducted and murdered on Wednesday 15 July.