Ukraine cautioned over non-compliance with the Aarhus Convention
The Third Meeting of the Parties to the Aarhus Convention took place in Riga earlier this month. It found that Ukraine had not demonstrated its compliance with an international agreement which is of vital importance to all of us.
The Ministry for Environmental Protection has posted information about the Meeting in Riga http://menr.gov.ua/cgi-bin/go?node=2485 There is not a word about the caution issued and the serious criticism Ukraine faced.
DRAFT DECISION III/6f
COMPLIANCE BY UKRAINE WITH ITS OBLIGATIONS
UNDER THE CONVENTION
The Meeting of the Parties,
Acting under paragraph 37 of the annex to decision I/7 on review of compliance,
Mindful of the conclusions and recommendations set out in decision II/5b with regard to compliance by Ukraine (ECE/MP.PP/2005/2/Add.8),
Taking note of the report of the Compliance Committee (ECE/MP.PP/2008/5) and its addendum 9 (ECE/MP.PP/2008/5/Add.9),
[Taking note also of the implementation strategy developed by Ukraine and submitted through the Committee in May 2008,]
1. Notes with regret the continuing failure of the Government of Ukraine to engage sufficiently with the process of compliance review and to take measures to implement decision II/5b of the Meeting of the Parties;
[2. [Notes also][Welcomes], however, the willingness expressed by the Government of Ukraine to implement the measures set out in decision II/5b, as referred to in the report of the Committee on compliance by Ukraine (ECE/MP.PP/2008/5/Add.9, paras. 18 and 22), and the progress made by Ukraine in implementing, in the months immediately proceeding the third meeting of the Parties, some of the measures set out in that decision;]
[2. Decides therefore to issue a caution to the Government of Ukraine;]
3. Requests the Government of Ukraine to implement targeted and coordinated measures to bring its legislation and practice into compliance with the provisions of the Convention as set out in paragraph 2 of decision II/5a;
4. Invites the Government of Ukraine to submit to the Committee periodically, namely in November 2008, November 2009 and November 2010, detailed information on further progress in implementing the measures referred to in paragraph 3;
5. Requests the secretariat and the Compliance Committee, and invites relevant international and regional organizations and financial institutions, to provide advice and assistance to the Party concerned as necessary in the implementation of these measures;
6. Undertakes to review the situation at its fourth meeting.
 The inclusion of this recital would be subject to Ukraine submitting such a strategy (see paras. 18 and 26 of the addendum to the report of the Compliance Committee on Compliance by Ukraine (ECE/MP.PP/2008/5/Add 9)) and is linked with the first option for paragraph 2.
 Two alternatives for paragraph 2 are proposed here which could be considered in the light of any development with regard to the strategy to be submitted by Ukraine in May 2008 (see para. 26 of the addendum to the report of the Compliance Committee on Compliance by Ukraine, ECE/MP.PP/2008/5/Add.9).