war crimes in Ukraine

The Tribunal for Putin (T4P) global initiative was set up in response to the all-out war launched by Russia against Ukraine in February 2022.

Similar articles

Police put pressure on witnesses regarding the death of a student in police custodyDefend us from the defendersProtest in Kyiv over death of student in police custodyCriminal investigation initiated over death of student in police custodyStudent dies of head injuries in a Kyiv police stationIhor Indylo investigation complete – and predictably unsatisfactoryLviv: 31-year-old dies after night in police custodyUkrainian youth show the police they know their rightsPlaying Bach’s music accompanied by explosions. Accordionist Ihor ZavadskyiIn Memory: Ihor Kozlovskyy, renowned Ukrainian religious scholar and former Russian hostageDefender of Crimean Tatar political prisoners gets 6 years for posts spelling out Russia's war crimes in UkraineRussia hides new crimes committed by convicted prisoners pardoned by Putin for killing in UkraineUkraine passes long sentences against former top official over savage killing of Kherson activist Kateryna Handziuk Russian paratrooper goes on trial in Ukraine for alleged war crimes in Kyiv oblast Controversial verdict over abduction, torture and killing of Euromaidan activist Yury VerbytskyyRussia abducts and imprisons Crimean Tatar, then tries to mobilize him for its war against Ukraine Belarusian rail partisan sentenced to 16 years for obstructing Russia’s invasion of Ukraine Russian torture was particularly savage in Kherson oblast, with even teenagers imprisoned Kherson journalist, imprisoned by the Russians, tells of killing, rape and torture of hostages Ukraine’s penitentiary institutions and the war

Police try to attribute death of student in their custody to childhood injuries

Ihor Indylo, a student who should have turned 20 the next day died in police custody in May. The investigators would now appear to be digging up all previous injuries to “explain” away his death

Ihor Indylo, a student who should have turned 20 the next day died in police custody in May. He had committed no offence, went voluntarily to the police station, apparently after an altercation with a police officer living in the same student hostel. He died from head injuries and haemorrhaging.  The police claimed that Ihor fell in a state of inebriation and that no police officers are implicated in his death. After a report on the TV 1 + 1 Channel, the story became high-profile, with the Prosecutor General and Kyiv Prosecutor promising to get to the bottom of it, and then the President meeting Ihor’s parents last week.

Unfortunately, there would seem little evidence of real will to prosecute those guilty of a young man’s death.  It is reported at that Ihor’s medical records are being used to justify the police version of events. The agency quotes its own sources within the Ministry of Internal Affairs [MIA] as saying that investigators have questioned doctors in several hospitals of the Chernihiv region and taken Ihor’s medical records away. The management of the Kyiv Prosecutor’s Office have already been told that Ihor had been injured several times in childhood and that his parents had supposedly concealed this from the law enforcement bodies.

The examples range from a skull injury requiring hospitalization when he was 7, and allegations that on 18 November 2008 he took part in a fight in the Kyiv Hydropark and also received a head injury.

“If you put these cases together, the result of the second forensic medical examination promised for September, is predictable. They’ll claim that the student had had head injuries before, and that it’s not surprising that he died after falling on a wooden fall. And they’ll terminate the case.”

Ihor’s mother, Ludmila Indylo, stresses that there were no long-term consequences of her son’s childhood injuries. She notes, too, that in October 2009 he went through all the medical tests for conscription and was found to be health and able to do military service. She is convinced that her son was beaten in the Shevchenkivsky Police Station, and then the doctors did not save him. “Both the police and the doctors are to blame.”

From information at


 Share this