MENU

Similar articles

KHPG representative not allowed into Penal Colony No. 89Prisoners beaten for complaining about lack of fresh air?Prisoners on hunger strike at Colony No. 89 in DnipropetrovskSpecial Force Penal Service officers again deployed against prisoners?Human rights activists demand investigation of beatings at Simferopol SIZOArmed men in masks in Simferopol SIZONew hunger strike at Colony No. 89 in Dnipropetrovsk“Ukrainian Guantanamo” that doesn’t exist. De jureAndriy Didenko: Reform of Ukraine’s Penal Institutions hasn’t yet begunUkrainian accused of torturing hostages at Russian-controlled Izolyatsia secret prison flees to France and "asks for political asylum’Report concerning the investigation of the mass unlawful use of force to the convicts of the Oleksiivska correctional colony (No.25) on January 8, 2020 Reform strategy of medical care for prisoners (updated)Vermin, filth and cold in Russia’s torture of imprisoned Crimean Tatar journalists and activists Crimean Tatar veteran’s civic journalist son sentenced to 16 years by Russia on same charges as Stalin used against her grandfather Courageous testimony exposes the torture and threats used to fabricate Russia’s ‘trial’ of Crimean Tatar leader Nariman Dzhelyal Prominent US political analyst thanks imprisoned Crimean Tatar journalist Osman Arifmemetov for reporting on Russia"s repression in occupied Crimea European Court of Human Rights halts Russia’s execution of vital Memorial Society and Memorial Human Rights Centre24 грудня – головне за деньFive years of the penitentiary medicine reform: a sad anniversaryRussia uses ‘treason’ charges to jail renowned Ukrainian academic for 20 more years

Penal Head apparently dismissed over events at Colony No. 89

15.07.2011 | dniprograd.org

 

According to a local journalist, D. Reznichenko, the Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Division of the Department for the Execution of Sentences, Anatoly Babets has been dismissed. The journalist states that Babets initially denied that prisoners had been beaten at Penal Colony No. 89 by a Special Forces unit, then said that it was normal training exercises.  Learning of the imminent press conference he first invited human rights workers to visit and supposedly convince themselves that all was well, then failed to get in contact, and access was denied.

The report states that the Deputy Head of the State Penitentiary Service for Kyiv and the Kyiv Region confirmed the dismissal and linked it directly with the events at Colony No. 89.  Ihor Andrushko said that the Prosecutor would be investigating these events, as well as a whole range of other criticisms regarding the rising death rate and incidences of tuberculosis in the colonies, poor cooperation with civic organizations and the press, etc.

One of those present at the press conference on 12 July, Ihor Harkavenko has also confirmed that Babets has been dismissed. 

 Share this