Yanukovych and Azarov top the Enemies of the Press list
On Journalist Day the Institute of Mass Information and Independent Media Trade Union published their list of Press Enemies.
1. Prime Minister Mykola Azarov
As the Head of the Government – for artificial restriction of communication between ministers and journalists and as formal head of the Party of the Regions – for pressure on the media, censorship and obstruction at all levels.
Azarov was in second place on the list in 2010
2. President Viktor Yanukovych
In tenth place in 2009 for threats against Serhiy Leshchenko, Ukrainska Pravda journalist and for insisting that all questions were agreed in advance
3. Interior Minister Vitaly Zakharchenko
4. Party of the Regions MP Vitaly Zhuravsky (nominal author of the libel law which proposed recriminalization of libel
5. First Deputy Prime Minister Serhiy Arbuzov
Arbuzov is believed to be the owner of a media holding including a number of media channels and publications. He denies this.
6. Head of the Verkhovna Rada Office Valentyn Zaichuk
7. Prosecutor General Viktor Pshonka
8 Opposition MP Mykola Knyazhytsky (former head of the independent channel TVi who supported the apparent seizure of the channel in late April.
9. Head of the State Security Department Serhiy Kulyk
10. General Director of the 1 + 1 Media Holding Oleksandr Tkachenko.