MENU
Documenting
war crimes in Ukraine

The Tribunal for Putin (T4P) global initiative was set up in response to the all-out war launched by Russia against Ukraine in February 2022.

Similar articles

71-year-old Ukrainian seized on fake 'spying' charges dies in Russian captivity Crimean Solidarity civic journalist Rustem Sheikhaliev denied urgently needed medical care in rat-infested Russian prisonRussia uses punitive psychiatry to indefinitely imprison critic of its war against Ukraine Russia refuses critically ill Crimean Tatar political prisoner vital heart medication ‘I’m freer than you”: Artist Sasha Skochilenko gets 7 years for price tags telling truth about Russia's war against Ukraine Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant engineer held and tortured by Russian invaders for over a year Crimean artist Bohdan Ziza's 15-year ‘terrorism’ sentence for opposing Russia’s war against Ukraine Russian FSB get ‘good terrorism statistics’ by imprisoning Crimean Tatar pensionersRussia upholds death sentences against two Crimean Tatar political prisoners after killing one of them Russia refuses to investigate the torture to death of Crimean Tatar political prisoner Dzhemil Gafarov Gravely ill Crimean Tatar civic journalist sent to certain death in Russian prison Russia has killed two Ukrainian political prisoners and is endangering at least 21 others Open death threats against Ukrainian political prisoner in Russian captivityRussia is brutally torturing and may kill dangerously ill Crimean Tatar political prisoner UN dismisses Russia’s attempt to blame Ukraine for the deliberate killing of over 50 Ukrainian POWs at Olenivka Russia effectively sentences veteran Crimean Tatar activist to death for somebody else’s voice on a tapeRussia sentences blind and disabled Ukrainian to 17 years for discussing politics and religion Life-saving medication taken away from gravely ill Crimean Solidarity civic journalist in Russian occupation prison Imprisoned Ukrainian civic journalist could lose hearing because of Russian brutal torment Controversial verdict over abduction, torture and killing of Euromaidan activist Yury Verbytskyy

‘Natural death’ claimed for 25-year-old Ukrainian detainee with horrific injuries

06.12.2017   
Halya Coynash
The family of 25-year-old Dmytro Lystovnychy have disputed the claim that his death in SIZO [remand prison] was of ‘natural causes’, and have shown harrowing photos suggesting that the young man had been severely beaten. 

The family of 25-year-old Dmytro Lystovnychy have disputed the claim that his death in SIZO [remand prison] was of ‘natural causes’, and have shown harrowing photos suggesting that the young man had been severely beaten. 

Dmytro had committed the offence he was charged with – he had stolen a bottle of whisky while drunk.  His mother tried to pay the money, but the supermarket still reported it to the police “to teach him a lesson”.

He assured his mother that all would be fine and that he’d never break the law again, after serving the 6-month sentence imposed. 

He died back on October 22, his fourth day in the SIZO.  

His mother was told only that he he had died of natural causes, supposedly from cirrhosis of the liver.  The photos that she shows, however, of her son’s bloodied body show injuries to his face, arms and legs.  

The Penitentiary Service and doctors are continuing to claim that he died from ‘acute hepatitis’.  The Penitentiary Service has, however, said that Lystovnychy was registered as an alcoholic.  They assert that he was placed in solitary confinement “for inadequate behaviour” and are now suggesting that he could have committed suicide. 

The prosecutor’s office is responsible for carrying out oversight in all such cases, yet it appears to have only initiated criminal proceedings because Dmytro’s mother has made a formal complaint.   It has now now launched a murder investigation, as well as a probe into suspected negligence from the doctors and falsification of medical documents.

It is disturbing that no investigation would have been carried out into the death of this 25-year-old Lutsk man had his family not objected to the natural causes verdict and contacted the media.  A new forensic examination is now planned.

It is not only such cover-ups that Ukraine’s Penitentiary Service are not managing to (or not trying to) eradicate.  There was nationwide publicity recently to both the murder of a female SIZO employee in Odesa and the subsequent mass beating of remand prisoners. 

Details were revealed by Dmytro Krasnobaev, a priest from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church under the Kyiv Patriarchate.  What can you call this, he asked, when prisoners are beaten up, their belongings destroyed?  The first thing that comes to mind, he continued, was  “the collective punishment in a Nazi concentration camp”.

Valeria Lutkovska, Ukraine’s Human Rights Ombudsperson, became involved, and in September the Prosecutor General Yury Lutsenko announced that the acting head of the Southern branch of the Penitentiary Service had been informed that he was under suspicion over the ill-treatment of prisoners.   Lutsenko did not name the man, although the media had no difficulty in identifying him as Anatoly Kovtun. 

Once again, the prosecutor’s reaction was directly linked with attention given the acts of intimidation by the media and human rights organizations, and it remains to be seen whether anything comes of the criminal investigation. 

 Share this