Press Conference on the Eve of International Day in Support of Victims of Torture
In 2010 almost 800 thousand people were subjected to unlawful violence by the police and more than 50 died.
What should we expect in 2011?
Why does the Prosecutor not seek punishment of police officers for torture?
What has been changed by the Judgements of the European Court of Human Rights which found Ukraine responsible for torture?
Who has a problem with independent public monitoring of the law enforcement bodies?
A press conference will be held on 23 June 2011 from 13.30 to 14.30 (UNIAN Information Agency, 4 Khreshchatyk) on torture and ill-treatment, and measures for countering them.
Issues for discussion:
- Torture and ill-treatment in Ukraine – a threat to national security;
- Assessment of Ukraine’s fulfilment of international standard on prohibition of torture;
- Analysis of cases of torture in European Court of Human Rights Judgements and their implementation in court rulings and decisions from law enforcement bodies;
- Assessment of the authorities’ activities with respect to prevention of torture;
- Information about specific cases.
Arkady Bushchenko, bar lawyer and legal expert for the Kharkiv Human Rights Group, Head of the Board of the Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union
Yevhen Zakharov, Co-Chair of the Kharkiv Human Rights Group, member of the Board of the International Memorial Society
Do you like our stories?
Kharkiv Human Rights Protection Group is running a crowdfunding campaign to support the information department.
You can make a donation for our project on biggggidea.com and get rewarded.
You can also support the KHPG activities on donate.khpg.org.
Here is the video about KHPG media staff (in Ukrainian):